[ZWeb] DNS still fishy?

Justizin justizin at siggraph.org
Thu Oct 12 09:27:28 EDT 2006

On 10/12/06, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Justizin wrote:
> > I'd love to see more backups once they have copies of the zone.
>
> Why? zope.org has happily lived off two nameservers for years and years...
>
> All of a sudden, we "need" to have more backups, the upshot of which has
> been people in europe getting served bad dns from ns.qutang.net :-(

This is a logical fallacy.  Services were not unavailable because we
have more than two nameservers, services were unavailable because we
rushed.

ns.qutang.net did not serve any bad dns that ns*.zoneedit.com were not
serving.  The errors were in ZoneEdit's copy of the Zone.

I was thinking just now over a smoke about someone I used to work with
at Rackspace, the datacenter engineer.  Bob was a member of the NASA
Challenge Safety Team.  He personally recommended against launching
the Challenger, which exploded, killing some astronauts.

I learned from working with him that you should never tell someone
with more experience to be less cautious.

> What's wrong with just having ns1.zoneedit.com and ns7.zoneedit.com
> (could we also use ns(2-6).zoneedit.com?) and be done with it?

We can only use the nameservers that zoneedit allocates us.

Yanno, people used to pay $75 per half hour for this expertise.

--
Justizin, Independent Interactivity Architect
ACM SIGGRAPH SysMgr, Reporter