[ZWeb] Re: website design discussion

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Mon Sep 4 05:08:23 EDT 2006

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On 4 Sep 2006, at 10:26, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>>           o Trading in having the space on the sides for less control
>>> over all page layouts. I'm going for functional control in this case
>>> over a prettier layout.
>>>           o The current page is laid out to work on 800 x 600 and
>>> above. Most people will view the site at 1024 x 786 or 800 x 600 and
>>> not see large gaps on the side.
>>
>> Is 800x600 that common these days?
>
> It is very common to have users who will see scrollbars with fixed 1024
> width designs. Including me on the 12" iBook. One reason I normally hate
> fixed width designs with a passion is because I get scrollbars, most
> designs seem to be fixed for 1024 pixel screens.
>
> Here's an example of a fixed width design that was fixed at a width too
> big for my screen:
>
> http://www.zope.de/
>
> I can't stand it. Tom made a wise choice. And please don't add columns
> to make it wider.

Good point; I get scrollbars on that site as well (on a 1200 wide screen
this time, but I almost never maximize my browser). That's a good
argument against content boxes on the right side, at least in a fixed
design.

I wonder whether it would be very difficult/unwise to make the content
area semi-stretchable as one can see on some sites. That is, doesn't
stretch all the way on a wide screen, but stretches/compresses partially.

Regards,

Martijn