[Zope] - dtml tagspace

Jeff Bauer jeffbauer@bigfoot.com
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 22:19:22 -0600

Now that Andrew Kuchling has open pandora's box by
describing in explicit detail how to "roll your own"
dtml tags, it might be a good time to discuss how
to protect "tagspace".  Otherwise, Digital Creations
may produce future dtml tags that will stomp user-defined
tag names, if this becomes a popular pastime.  A simple
convention for tag names prefixed by <whatever> could
be reserved for user designation.

This kind of convention would also be a documentation
aid in reading .dtml files.

Comments from the Z guys?

For information on AMK's tag hack, see:

  http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/zope/new-tag.html

I mention this as a disinterested 3rd party, because I'm
not sure if a proliferation of dtml tags is desired.

of-course-my-<BlinkSixTimesPerSecond>-tag-is-pretty-essential-
  and-should-really-be-included-in-the-standard-distribution-ly yr's,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.