[Zope] - Misc questions & Suggestions

Jim Fulton jim@Digicool.com
Tue, 08 Dec 1998 16:55:41 +0000

Amos Latteier wrote:

(snip)

> We've definitely thought about symbolic link like facilities which could be
> useful for many things, not just page redirection. I'm not sure what the
> current status on this idea is...

The status is that someone needs to flesh out the specific requirements.
The idea is pretty simple, but there are lots of devilish details.
Consider the semantic differences between Unix hard and symbolic links,
or these differences between these and Windows "shortcuts".  And none of these
systems use acquisition or sit behind a network protocol. :)

> Another idea is some kind of tool that searches Documents and munges their
> contents.

A good place to start would be OFS.FindSupport.FindSupport.PrincipiaFind
(soon to become an alias for ZopeFind :). This method, which is available
from DTML does the searching part.  This could, for example, let you grab
the Documents that contain some string and modify their source.

Amos, since you will need to do this to convert the Principia
quick start database to the Zope quick start database, maybe you can
work up and share a document that does this.

> I desperately need such a tool for spell checking purposes. But
> it could be used for link management and other purposes. This sort of tool
> would be easy to write.

I also definiately agree that specific support, for link management
work be a cool thing.  Prototypes would be a good place to start.

> If you're really crazy, you could manage links by using properties and
> reference them as vars in your documents. Then you could easily change a
> link definition in one place and not worry about any broken links.
>
> >4) What does OFS stand for? What's an acronym doing in a world of TwoWord
> >   names?
>
> I think it means "Object File System". There are probably lots of names
> that could be improved.

I'm not looking for more work.  While names like App (which is
a hold over from a pre-Principia framework) and OFS (which reflected
one of the many early names for Principia) are a bit crufty, I don't
expect to change them anytime soon, as there are lots of pickles
that use them.  It's possible to work around this, but there are
more important things to do right now. :)

(snip)

Jim

Technical Director   (540) 371-6909              Python Powered!

repeats.