[Zope] - Setting __bobo_realm__

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Tue, 08 Dec 1998 14:42:59 -0500

At 06:53 PM 12/8/98 +0000, Jim Fulton wrote:

>ZPublisher also checks for an environment variable, BOBO_REALM.
>(In the next release, it will check for Z_REALM first :) and
>uses it if there is not module-level realm setting.

This raises a question: since ZOPE is a good breaking-off point from
previous concepts, would it be do-able to start dropping all the Bobo-isms
from ZPublisher in favor of transport-neutral ORBisms?  And perhaps
transport-specific ones for specific transports?  My group has just begun
work on an SMTP publisher for ASDF, and we plan to get to WebDAV-over-Z at
some point, with reuse of the WebDAV stuff to implement FTP publishing for
ASDF at a later date.  I would love to see things like __bobo_traverse__
migrate to things more like __orb_traverse__, and __bobo_realm__ to
__HTTP_realm__.  It will make it a lot clearer to both
component-implementers and publisher-implementers which things they should
support and which properly belong to another protocol and should not be
messed with.

I realize Digital Creations focus is "objects on the web", but I see key
parts of what you're doing as usable for "objects on the *net*", where the
web is just the first and most important step.