[Zope] - Authenication problems when on webhost?

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin@texoma.net
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 14:51:04 -0600

On Tue, 08 Dec 1998 15:16:29 "Phillip J. Eby" wrote:
>At 01:54 PM 12/8/98 -0600, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>>I haven't installed Zope yet. I have been reading the documentation and
>>posts here. There have been a couple of post by Michael Grinder which have
>>not been answered and concern me. Maybe they have not been answered because
>>there isn't a good solution. If that is the case I prefer to know.
>>
>>For those of us who have to use a webhosting service we are at the mercy of
>>what  they (the webhost) will permit and what is required configuration
>>wise by Zope.
>>
>>Are there any options for configuring for Authorization that can be done by
>>those of us who use a webhosting service?
>>

>There are several ISP's whose servers support HTTP_AUTHORIZATION, including
>Hiway, RapidSite, and a number of regional telcos who outsource their
>hosting through Hiway/RapidSite.  Hiway and RapidSite run an Apache variant
>known as "RapidSite/Apa-1.2" which was patched to pass through the
>HTTP_AUTHORIZATION environment variable to CGI scripts.  In their CGI
>environments, all scripts run as the Unix user ID of the customer, so there
>are no security issues with making HTTP_AUTHORIZATION available.

<insert question>
I just learned from my webhost today that:
"any cgi script started is under your name, its automatic"

I guess this would mean for my situation anyway, that all I need to do is
ask whether or not HTTP_AUTHORIZATION is available? If not, would they?

Is their a simple way to test if it is already (automatically) available
without asking tech support?

>This means that ZOPE should run virtually out of the box on a Hiway or
>RapidSite
>host.  A couple of points to mention, though...  Hiway does not allow you
>to run your own servers, so ZopeHTTPServer is absolutely out.  Since Hiway
>servers are also periodically rebooted for various kinds of maintenance,
>you cannot rely on such a process staying up indefinitely anyway.  This
>also means you need to be sure if you're using an LRP that it can
>auto-start from the web.
>
>I know all this stuff because I work for Hiway/RapidSite and have
>implemented ZPublisher-based internal applications there.  I've switched
>away from using my work e-mail address on the list, however, because I
>don't want anything I say to be misconstrued as official statements on the
>part of the company.

Thanks for the reply. I hope any/all site(s) with excellent support for
Python/Zope does well and prospers. :)

Jimmie Houchin