[Zope] - Finding recently changed pages

Jim Fulton jim@Digicool.com
Tue, 08 Dec 1998 22:28:14 +0000

Kent Polk wrote:

> Hi A.M. (A.M. Kuchling), in <199812061624.LAA25965@207-172-39-232.s232.tnt10.ann.erols.com> on Dec 6 you wrote:
>
> > At http://discuss.userland.com/msgReader$857 , Dave Winer suggests
> > that Web sites should have a top-level siteChanges.xml file that lists
> > URLs that have recently changed.  Search engines could then use this
> > information to only crawl pages that have changed recently, which
> > would let them keep up to date more easily.  How would one go about
> > implementing something like this under Zope?

Andrew,

I seem to have missplaced your original post, so
I'll reply here.  One problem we've run into whenever we've approached
this is that it's really hard to *define* when a URL changes.  If
A URL is computed fron n objects, when does a URL change?  When one of
the n objects have changed?  When they've all changed?  When m
(1 <= m <= n) have changed? When some particular subobjects have changed?
I suspect that the definition could be application dependent.

Jim

Technical Director   (540) 371-6909              Python Powered!

repeats.