[Zope] - dtml tagspace

Jim Fulton jim@Digicool.com
Wed, 09 Dec 1998 00:49:57 +0000

"Andrew M. Kuchling" wrote:

> Jeff Bauer writes:
> >Now that Andrew Kuchling has open pandora's box by
> >describing in explicit detail how to "roll your own"
> >dtml tags, it might be a good time to discuss how
> >to protect "tagspace".  Otherwise, Digital Creations
> >may produce future dtml tags that will stomp user-defined
> >tag names, if this becomes a popular pastime.  A simple
> >convention for tag names prefixed by <whatever> could
> >be reserved for user designation.
>
>         It would be worth figuring out if adding tags is the way to
> go, though;

There are many cases where they are a good way to go.
The acid test is whether adding a new tag would significantly
reduce the amount of DTML code needed for a common task.

> perhaps it's better to simply create objects and call
> methods on them.

I certainly wouldn't invent a tag just to do that.

> But I'm paralyzed by the fact that I don't really
> know how to do that: if document A is being processed, and object B is
> in the same folder, how do I call one of B's methods through DTML?

<!--#var "B.some_method()"-->

Jim

Technical Director   (540) 371-6909              Python Powered!

repeats.