[Zope] - RE: [Zope] -Zope in an RPM

Jeff Rush Jeff Rush" <jrush@summit-research.com
Wed, 09 Dec 98 10:34:38 -0500

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 08:10:08 -0500, Paul Everitt wrote:

>Note that our binary kits will *also* include Python, I believe.
>Realize that we are aiming Zope at an audience outside the Python
>community as well as inside.
>
>Anyway, our goal is to allow people to *quickly* get something working.
>When they see what it does, they can then decide to make the commitment
>to use their Python, their Apache, etc.  Our plans to get their include:
>
>o pre-built extensions
>
>o pre-built Python
>
>o pre-built, pre-configured Apache, just type "start"
>
>o recommending the use of the ZopeHTTPServer for evaluation
>
>o sample apps targetted at both content managers and programmers

FWIW, in the past few hours I've downloaded Zope, packaged it
as a Red Hat RPM and got it installed successfully.  While RPMs
don't cover your entire market, they would fit into much of it.

Most of the work in doing an RPM was converting the .py makefiles
back into sh scripts within the RPM, figuring out dependencies
between subsystems and reworking the directory structure in the
Zope tar file into the Standard Linux layout.  I don't have PCGI
working yet, as there is no standard dir structure for cgi-bin stuff,
but the standalone ZopeHTTPServer works ok.

Oh, and the various extension modules are all built as .so files,
so there is no need to mess with the Python interpreter itself.

I'll post the RPM, or at least the .spec file in a few days, in case
anyone would like it.

Now off to learn how to -use- Zope...

-Jeff Rush