[Zope] - Proprsal for the zope-list configuration

Andy Dustman adustman@comstar.net
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 01:02:31 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 skip@calendar.com wrote:

>     Michael> I would propose to set the mailfield
>     Michael>   Reply-To: zope@zope.org
>     Michael> for all articles send via the list verver.
>
> No, no, no, no, no...  The failure mode is much worse when the default is to
> send to the list.

I hate to say "me too", but: ME TOO! Reply-To: munging is evil. I'll share
a personal (second-hand) example:

On a particular list at a major university, some faculty member announced
that he would be taking a leave of absence. Somebody asked, on the list
(since Reply-To was set to the list), if that meant he was really leaving
or just taking a leave of absence. So he replies, again to the list, it's
a leave of absence, but he's not really coming back. Oops.

With no Reply-To munging, if you mess up, you can always forward your
message to the list. With munging, well, you can't exactly take it back...

Andy Dustman                    You should always say "spam" and "eggs"
ComStar Communications Corp.                 instead of "foo" and "bar"
(706) 549-7689 | PGP KeyID=0xC72F3F1D   in Python examples. (Mark Lutz)