[Zope] - Re: RE: [Zope] - Zope, Win95, File Output

Fabian Lemke lemkef@globaldialog.com
13 Dec 1998 17:35:25 -0000

Thanks for the reply!

> Tell them its written in Perl. :^)

Annoyingly, that would probably work, :-)

> This has been talked about enough recently that I added it to my Q&A.
> What we need is some ambitious soul to write the 50 lines of Python to
> do this, hopefully as a Zope Product.

50 lines isn't that bad.. I may have to look into this.  Currently I'm sort of crippled - my HD died and I'm waiting for it to get back.  I'm running off a 400 meg drive at the moment, so my hands are tied w/programming in every way.  I definitly have to look into this though.

[FP stuff]
> Needless to say Zope would have to sitting behind a FP-compatible server
> for this to work, unless you just wanted to do FTP stuff.
>
> What did you have in mind for FP?

I was thinking more along the lines of having Zope (and Python of course) set up on the client system, but it could also be setup on the server too.  Frontpage components (formerly called webbots) allow you to make design-time controls. Whenever the page is saved it basically calls the code to get what will be inserted at the webbot's place.  This is where Zope (the special Python code to involk it) would be placed.  It'd be simplist to get this to work with Zope installed on the client machine, but I'm sure it'd be workable on a server as well. (with some Python CGI style stuff?)  FP also lets componets show their own dialog boxes for user input, so it'd even be possible to let you edit the table(s) that are being used in the page right away.  Also, lots of other of the WYSIWYG editors support plug-in's.  I've made a few other for FP, but didn't feel like taking the time to make them comercial quality.

A little note: Just checked out Corel Web.data, and it's organized somewhat similarly to what I have been looking for, but since it's a closed format it's VERY limited.  Zope is a much better choice, :-)

And Kwan-Soo:  Thanks - I'll have to try it the simple way first before I get more ambitious, :-)

I'm guessing the first place to start is the doc. files?

- Fabian

-----
See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/zope/?start=524