[Zope] - Object-relational mapping?

Amos Latteier amos@aracnet.com
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 15:45:22 -0800

At 03:05 PM 12/14/98 -0800, Curtis Galloway wrote:
>Is the "Aqueduct" system the same as "SQL methods"?

Yes.

>If so, it isn't really
>what I would consider an object-relational mapping layer.
>
>I was hoping it would be along the lines of other systems that map database
>tables onto  data container objects, and allow you to code custom behavior
for
>the data objects.  I've been looking for an open-source system like this for
>some time.
>
>Am I missing a part of Zope here?

Well, since SQL Methods haven't been released yet, you are missing a vital
element ;-) Seriously, we hope to release SQL Methods soon.

Actually, you can use SQL Methods to map rows to Objects via the "pluggable
brains" facility. These objects can acquire methods in the same way all
Zope Objects--so you've got a double dose of dynamic data.

Is this what you are after?

-Amos

P.S. Hopefully this will become clearer when we actually get around to
releasing SQL Methods and you can play with them and read the source.