[Zope] - Serving Zope...

Jeff Bauer jeffbauer@bigfoot.com
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 21:15:56 -0600

LD Landis writes:
> Well... I'd like to be able to run both a native Zope
> and an Apache at the same time, having the one connected
> to port 80 passing off requests to the other (daisy-chain
> like) before yielding a 404... or with "active termination",
> let the last guy on the daisy-chain be responsible for
> returning the 404 as needed.
>
> This may already be in the cards... but I don't know how
> to do it.  More likely "real tricky"...

We need an http-proxy written in python.  I'm interested
in this even for reasons independent of Zope(*).  I think
it was Michael Scharf who requested such a beast on
comp.lang.python.  My intuition tells me that Andreas
Kostyrka would also find it useful, if he hasn't built
one already <wink>.

(*) Let's save civilization -- filter out Javascript,
animated gifs, and a half dozen other bad ideas.

An http-proxy could be built with:

  1)  Threaded python
  2)  Medusa
  3)  A minimist asynch select-style server (Medusa on Valium)

Item #1 would be limited to versions of Python with
thread support.

I like the idea of extending Medusa to support http-proxy
(excuse my ignorance if it already does) but I'm unclear
about Medusa's current status.  Has it gone open source,
or is its use restricted to Zope?  If the former, adding
http-proxy capability to Medusa might be the best approach.

Best regards,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.