[Zope] - It's alive! (making ZMySQLDA works)

Ricky Ng-Adam rngadam@dsuper.net
20 Dec 1998 19:05:50 -0000

Hello!

Ok, so I finally got both Zope and the ZmySQLDA to work...  For those who don't read documentation like me, here's a quick review of the different steps required:

-download and extract Zope beta 3
-cd to your newly created Zope directory structure
-launch the install process with "python wo_pcgi.py"
-download and extract the ZmySQL source package from the top directory of your Zope installation
-download and extract the mySQL package INTO lib/python/Products/ZmySQLDA (I thought I had to install it separately with the other Python dynamic modules; why not just include it in the tar file???)
-from there, customize the Makefile if needed and run make
-customize your own access file in Zope top directory with username:password
-launch ./serve.sh
-point your browser to http://localhost:9673/manage (not 8080; is it me or did this change from beta 2 to beta 3??) and enter correct username/password
-if you have not already done so, launch your MySQL database as root with safe_mysqld

-you can now use the "test" database normally included in MySQL (at least 3.21.33) to see if everything works ok; it's a quite nice example about air flight management
-first, create a MySQL database connection with the following connection string: test nobody   (I had to look into the source to find out that the
connection string is "database username password" all separated by space)
-You can now add your own Z MySQL methods in the Zope manager.  Use this simple query: "select * from flight" as an example
-You can now test it directly in the manager with the tab "Test".  Nice!
-You should now have a nicely formatted table of flights
-Enjoy!

BTW, the FAQ in the doc subdirectory of Zope makes for excellent reading even if you don't have any particular question... I would also recommend that you "use the source Luke" since I couldn't find any doc about ZmySQL and the source it's copiously commented ;-)

Good luck everyone,

--
Ricky Ng-Adam
Montreal (Quebec), Canada      [Powered by Linux!]