[Zope] - Virtual servers

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 09:55:39 -0500

On Tue, Dec 22, 1998 at 09:43:19AM -0500, Paul Everitt wrote:

> Andreas wrote:
> > Than there is marketing and public relations. (``So you are using what
> > Webserver? Zope? Why are you not using Apache?'')
>
> This is an important issue to me.  I've always viewed sitting behind
> Apache as the #1 focus of our attention.  But...

I would say also working correctly under NSAPI and IIS would be pretty
high priorities.  I've been trying to get a customer to use Zope to
build something that would fit perfectly, but they have all kinds of
"company standards" that are used to tell you "no" in so many ways that
I believe OED would be interested in new definitions.

> > Additionally, you have NOT given one good argument why to do away with
> > Apache. Anything you've mentioned is also available with
> > apache/pcgi :)
>
> There doesn't have to be _one_ way.  There will be _many_ ways.  If you
> did a poll on this list and asked how many people have done production
> sites with Medusa, you might be surprised at the answer.
>
> Thus, I look at Dave's points as _a_ perfectly valid view.

I agree completely, if Dave wants to add all this into an extended
ZopeHTTPServer, or Medusa, or whatever, cool, great, but the line
between the web server, and the application server needs to be as clean
as possible, otherwise portability will be sacrificed.  Zope might have
needs for SSL, also (ney TLS) that aren't specific to the HTTP protocol.

Chris