[Zope] - Encryption

Andreas Kostyrka andreas@mtg.co.at
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 16:21:07 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 andreas@mtg.co.at wrote:
> [...]
> > The problem is, that these ``reasonable'' governments are bullied by
> > someone into ``changing'' their minds. (Just read the comments from the
> > finish government.)
>
> Where? What are you refering to?
What was it, War.... Agreement. That's basically an agreement to export
control weapons and dual use stuff. And in this agreement, the US pushed
for declaring crypto an weapon to be export controlled, and achieved their
goal ;)

(I should have bookmarked the pages, I've come to the sites trough
 slashdot)

> > But happilly, it seems that some Danish diplomat botched it for the EU :)
> [...]
>
> I must say I haven't followed any of this, but it sounds interesting... Do
> you have a reference or something?
As this dangerous (to internet security) agreement is about limiting free
trade, this has to be legislated on EU level. Seems like one
representative (the Danish one) botched it up, which led to some turmoil
in Danemark and it's Parliament -> So Danemark probably will not agree to
this in the EU commission -> the legaslation will fail on EU level.

> > > sercure ftp, and they are seeking IETF standardization. Mabey we could
> > > implement this standard in medusa's ftp server.
>
> > Not a good idea. digicool is located in the most liberated country of the
> > world. So it's much better not to have buildin  crypto, much better to
> > use external tools, like:
> [...]
> > Apache-SSL
> > rsync/ssh
> > CVS/ssh
>
> It still would be nice to have a standard tool that worked with Zope (at
> least IMO.) I guess it would be possible to follow the route of pgp and
> have two versions etc... No?
Very much work. And the US Zope would not be allowed to have plugin APIs
that would allow for crypto plugins, just see the Mozilla Crypto FAQ,
where this is explained.

> And personally -- I usually sit at the machine where the webserver is
Doesn't work like this here. Personally I'd never work on something that
old and slow as our webservers. (X11 & netscape & ... put quite a load on
the system.)
> located, so it would be very nice to be able to edit the document methods
> directly in emacs... (I guess it would be possible to make an emacs-lisp
That's what I'm doing now. Edit the documents, cvs commit, ssh server, cvs
update -Pd. That's it :)
But it works only with a file based representation *g* ;)

Andreas
--
Win95: n., A huge annoying boot virus that causes random spontaneous system
     crashes, usually just before saving a massive project.  Easily cured by