[Zope] - License issues

Andreas Kostyrka andreas@mtg.co.at
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:57:49 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Scott Robertson wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Andreas Kostyrka wrote:
> > Nope, there seem to be a free implementation too. (Notice the PostgreSQL
> > ODBC driver, etc.) BUT the ODBC manager I'm thinking of has one HUGE
> > problem: It's GPL, and as such legally incompatible with Zope :(
> >

> Why is GPL incompatible with Zope, is it the clause that states only other
> GPL'ed code can be linked with GPL code (I think it's something like that
There is basically no such clause. BUT there is a clause that says that
you may not place additional restrictions on GPL code.

So if you would now take the ODBC manager that is GPLed, and
embed it in Zope, than you would place some additional restrictions on it,
for example ``the button clause'' in the Zope license, etc.

> I'll have to check and make sure.) Does this mean we can not make a
> Product for Zope and GPL it?
You can. The author can always do what he wants to do, as he is basically
not bound by his own license ;)

The problem is, that looking externally on this, you cannot
fulfill the license. That's the old KDE/Qt/GPL problem. You probably
noticed that because of this there is no Kimp (KDE port of Gimp). I've
seen it running on Linux Kongress in Cologne this year, but because the
KDE people cannot fulfill the GPL of Gimp, it may not be distributed ;)

Andreas
--
Win95: n., A huge annoying boot virus that causes random spontaneous system
     crashes, usually just before saving a massive project.  Easily cured by