[Zope] - OK enough fo the file tree thing

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:55:01 -0500

<FLAME>
Maybe it's just me, but there seem to be a lot of people who don't "get"
why ZOPE is what it is, and are asking for it to be something it isn't.
It's an OBJECT publishign system, not a file publishing system.  If all
you want is a bunch of files sitting in a directory that are scripted,
use PHP or some such... you'd loose all inheritance, attributes and
encapsulation, but that is what it sounds like you want...  We don't
need to waste a TON of bandwidth trying to ask why ZOPE is something it
can't be...  it can pretend to be a few things, but after a point it's a
"OBJECT PUBLISHING ENVIRONMENT", which has great benefits and some
paradigm shifts...

If this isn't what you need/want, move on, keep going.  If you can use
ZPublisher without the POS, go for it, that is the point is it not?  But
if you can't use ANY of it because of the paradigm, then it's time to
move on.  This is like sitting around complaining to Guido that Python
really needs to be Perl, and why can't he make it Perl... Paradigm
change? Get it?

FWIW, my last major web project was all driven out of Illustra without a
single file in the file system, anywhere, and we had great success, and
none of these problems.  We'd have built it on Zope if it'd existed, or
we'd known about Principia.

My complaints about Zope are almost all documentation related...
</FLAME>

My $1.45

Chris