[Zope] - Cryptography...

Andreas Kostyrka andreas@mtg.co.at
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 00:09:06 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Andrew M. Kuchling wrote:

> In our meetings at work, if discussion appears to be bogging down, any
> participant can say "This is a rat-hole" to end the discussion,
> meaning roughly "This topic can be debated endlessly without coming to
> any resolution."  Cryptography often winds up being such a rat-hole,
Agreed.
> and this discussion seems equally unlikely to be productive.  I'm not
> convinced it's a huge issue for Zope users; do competing products such
> as Cold Fusion or Frontier support security at all if the Web server
> doesn't have it?
Hmmm. Does the competition (NT) run stable for more than some hours under
heavy load? So why should Linux run stable?

Nope that's not the way it's done with free software ;)
(Actually I mean technical sound software in comparision to software where
marketodroids have the saying *g*, which happens to apply often to free
software.)

> 	A crude implementation of RSA is one thing; actually
> implementing SSL -> X.509 -> PKCS is entirely another.  You'd be
> better off looking at Pat Knight's UK-based SWIGging of SSLeay, and
> finishing it off if you're outside of the US.  That would be really
> useful, both for Python in general and Zope in particular.  (Someone
> on the python-crypto mailing list reported that they actually finished
> SWIGging all of SSLeay's functions; unfortunately they're in the
Hmmm. What about printing it, the swig code should not be to much?

Andreas
--
Win95: n., A huge annoying boot virus that causes random spontaneous system
     crashes, usually just before saving a massive project.  Easily cured by