[Zope] - Zope/filesystem issues

Mike Pelletier mike@compar.com
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:18:53 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Andreas Kostyrka wrote:

> but not really acceptable for software development management. :(

    You keep saying this.  I think you're stretching the point quite a lot.
Any serious software development is going to be done on a filesystem with
traditional tools in the form of Products and the occasional EternalMethod.
Only the relatively trivial DTML and SQLMethods are stored in the database.
And by storing them in the database you get simple revision control services
free of charge in the form of Zope sessions and users.

    Zope isn't cool because it gives you new ways of doing all the stuff you
already do.  Zope is cool because it lets you do new things in ways you
couldn't do before.  If you just want to keep doing the same old stuff the
same old way, well hell, do it!  If I may be so bold as to say so, I think
you're looking at everything from the wrong point of view.  So CVS can't deal
with objects.  That's CVS's fault, not Zope's!  Write a new tool that utilises
the new technologies to replace CVS.  We're all clever people here, after all.

Mike.

--
       ---              | Mike Pelletier             Work: 519-746-1607
        /opeware!       | Software Developer         Home: 519-725-7710