[Zope] - Zope for the Impatient

LD Landis ldl@LDL.HealthPartners.COM
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 13:48:15 -0600 (CST)

Paul/Amos,

  I just scarfed down Amos' example... lot's to digest, *but* I think it is
  going to supply what *I* need (will let you know "next year")...

Re: ScreenCam et al
  It would be unhelpful to me to have any requirement of MS anything...
  Also, I'm sure that when you complete the documentation process you are
  currently doing, and when some contributed Zope products start
  appearing... it'll all come together... working things that can be
  extended will be very helpful, IMO...

  I do agree with the notion of, minimally, support Linux... you can do
  MS-Windows too if you think it necessary, but hopefully, whatever is
  picked would have a growing base of supported platforms. (Me? A non-MS
  bigot?  How did I let that slip out?  I'm sure *no* one I know would
  believe that of *me*!!  ;-)

  Like I said, I didn't think that what I had in mind would be necessary in
  the long term, particularly in the show&tell form that I was
  suggesting... definitely was suggesting "low budget" in the extreme...
  'Course, seeing you guys writhing with a bunch of pythons was an
  interesting twist that I hadn't thought of ;-)

Re: Training Materials
  I'm not sure that having a CBT (Computer Based Training) course would be
  out of line, but it is a significant investment to create, and many times
  too much for the "impatient" to sit through (even the barest essentials).
  I think that the Amos-Poll will help me quite a bit... the main thing I
  am now curious about (this is being written "before" my study of Amos'
  document) is will I be able to extend the Amos-Poll to record the votes
  in a Gadfly (and ultimately an Oracle) database via Aqueduct?  That'll
  tell alot to me.  I'm going to be interested to see if there is a
  "mindset" that develops and more or less I am able to "intuit" the
  remaining parts of Zope 'cuz I'll be "in the groove".

Paul Everitt wrote:

> LD wrote:
> >   I'm not frustrated by what I've been able to download from
> >   Zope.org, but I am really thinking that if I could just "watch
> >   over the shoulder" of some Zope guru (Jim/Amos/Brian/Paul/all/
> >   any/other) for 5 to 10 minutes...  that all the gaps I keep
> >   running into would seal up for me...
>
> First, I think what Amos wrote yesterday is the start of something
> really, really good.  As long as we keep improving it and applying more
> time in that direction, I expect it to provide the foothold people need
> to get started.
>
> Now to your point, I think you're on to something with "recorded"
> tutorials, though I don't like the videotape part.
>
> I've long used Lotus ScreenCam as a backup for making presentations.  It
> allows me to "record" a screen session with all the screen events, as
> well as adding audio narration and captioning.
>
> Unfortunately the files it produces are gargantuan unless you take
> painful (read: unacceptable) measures to reduce it.  An alternative is
> to buy Lotus StreamCam which streams the presentation, rather than
> downloading a huge (e.g. 20 Mb) file.
>
> I don't mind the plunking down the money, but ScreenCam is a finicky
> product.  It can get the audio and video out of sync, it is a
> Windows-only solution, it talks directly to the display (in some cases
> installing its own video driver), doesn't support all video cards, etc.
>
> Thus I'd like to see if anyone here has alternative experience.  I'd
> like something that:
>
> o Allowed me to record screen events with synchronized audio narration
>
> o Recordings are streamed in a bandwidth-friendly fashion
>
> o Players are available *at least* for Windows and Linux
>
> --Paul

Cheers,
	--ldl
LD Landis ldl@HealthPartners.Com N0YRQ    Voice 612/883-5511 Fax 612/883-6363
HealthPartners, 8100 34th Avenue So, PO Box 1309, Minneapolis, MN  55440-1309
Shape your life not from your memories, but from your hopes.       (Borrowed)