[Zope] Re: Web Server configuration

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 09:59:19 -0400

> Dear sir,
> I have install zope 1.10.2-win32-x86 on Windows NT Server 4.0 with
> service pack 3. The installation was successful. But I cannot
> configure
> the existing webserver - IIS 3.0 - to work with the zope management
> screen. I understand that there are 3 ways to get the zope management
> screen up. Which are
>
> 1. To run the start.bat in the zope installation directory
> which opens a
> dos windows and runs a process in the background. This is the method I
> have been able to get working since installation a week ago.
> It seems to
> work fine. What I do is point the URL to http://localhost:9673/manage
> and it works.
>
> 2. Start the Zope web server through the Window NT services utility in
> the control panel. I can start and stop the Zope web server as NT
> service but the web browser does not load the management screen.
> This is what I did:
> I used Zope12 as the web site name in my installation.
> So I copied Zope12.exe from the Zope installation directory into
> C:\InetPub\wwwroot\cgi-bin which is the path used by IIS 3.0 on my NT
> machine. Then I start Zope web server via NT service. After that I
> started Netscape web browser. Then point the URL in the web browser to
> http://localhost:9889/cgi-bin/zope12.exe/manage and it does
> NOT work. I
> thought the Zope web server will find the zope manager in the cgi-bin
> directory. But No it failed.
> What is the suggested solution in this case?

You need to copy the file zope12_cgi.exe to your cgi-bin
directory, then rename it to zope12.exe. It sounds like
you are copying the actual nt service executable (zope12.exe)
to your cgi directory instead of the cgi executable...

> 3. Configure an existing web server which in my case is IIS 3.0 on NT
> 4.0.
> This is what I did: same as 2 above
> I copied Zope12.exe, which is the program generated for the web site
> name I used in the installation, from the Zope installation directory
> into C:\InetPub\wwwroot\cgi-bin which is the path used by IIS
> 3.0 on my
> NT machine.

See above...

Then I pointed the URL to
> http://ntserver:9889/cgi-bin/manage and it also NEVER worked.
> "NTSERVER"
> is my Windows NT Server 4.0 computer name.
> What am I doing wrong?
> I could use the first option but I like to be able to use all the
> options so I can provide services to users and clients under
> any of the
> above situations.
> Also I like to know if,
> a) I can run more than one web server  i.e IIS web server and the Zope
> web server as NT services at the same time?

The zope web server doesn't currently run as an NT service - it
is really meant as a way for folks to try out Zope quickly and
get it up and running without having to fiddle with their production
web servers. Though it is quite stable, the built-in server
intentionally
does not support all the features people would expect from
a production server - most folks use the built-in server to quickly
get a feel for Zope, then integrate it with their current server
once they've decided to use it.

That said, a single Zope instance can be run using _either_ the
built-in server or your server, but not both simultaneously.

Hope this helps!

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909