[Zope] access to zope.com ? a bad router

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 13:44:44 -0400

Hmm.. the thing is traceroutes are just so useless for this kind of
evaluation.  IMO, the best method for determining where the fault lay
are two mtrs, one from the source to the destination and vice versa (mtr
is a program that runs a traceoute, and then continuously pings each
router along the route giving you a real time packet loss figure).
Traceroutes are just slices of the problem, and without capturing both
sides of the link over a period of time they can be interpreted to mean
just about anything.

I think Exodus is stalling on you.  My guess is they're going to take
all your traceroutes and process them right into /dev/null.  But perhaps
the effort will stir some action there.

Sorry to sound like a defeatest, but I have some bad memories dealing
with any and all NSPs.

-Michel