[Zope] Feature requests and questions

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:50:21 -0400

On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 01:45:02PM -0700, Andrew Wooldridge wrote:
> 3) an easier way to install new packages - like just clicking "install"

Actually, it's not that much different, but remember, Zope runs on lots
of platforms :-)  There's no "install" to click on a UNIX box --- the
primary platform so far I'd imagine.  Right now, packages (ney,
Products) are just untarred and the server restarted.  That's not that
complex, I'd think.

> 4) Port Zope to mac!!

I haven't tried to run it yet, but don't know why ZopeHTTPServer
wouldn't run, anyone else tried?  As for connecting it to other things,
that's a totally different ball-o-wax.

> 6) implement XML-RPC between two zope servers

For what purpose? Just to consume bandwidth? ;-) XML is NOT
light-weight enough yet in my opinion to be used as a REAL RPC method.
I'm sure this will change.

> 7) implement a mailing list from within Zope

Woah, different thing entirely.  Check out Mailman (www.list.org), and
there's some talk about implementing a sort of integration between the
two, but that should be taken to them, not to the Zope people.

> 8) Product requests:
>     a)web-board

Have you looked at confera?

>     b)mailing list

See above.

>     c)workflow

27 ton weight. But not impossible, but I'm not sure it belongs IN Zope,
honestly.

>     d)project management

4000 ton weight which dropped properly causes all projects to fail :-)

> 9) Create a "serialized" XML export/import format so that for example I
> could email a zope site to a friend as a single file and have them
> "import" it. Sans images of course.

This is in the CVS repository, sorta... doesn't work for me, but Jim
swears I just am using the wrong incantations :-)

> Questions
> 1) When will the next version of Zope be released?

I'd say "soon", but I haven't seen it :-)

> 2) Could Zope use javascript sometime in the future? the JS reference
> implementation is open source as well, it could be incorporated...

Short answer, if you mean instead of Python... no, I suspect not.  JS
has no real capabilities that are comparable to the dynamic nature of
Python last I knew --- but then I've never seen it used outside a web
browser.  It's really not a serious competitor.  You'd have to duplicate
all kinds of acquisition and other things, and then you might as well
just write it all in Java... though I do have some ideas about
integrating Java and Zope, but that's another issue entirely.

Chris