[Zope] building Zope on AIX

Keith Rohrer KRohrer@hnv.com
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 16:25:09 -0500

Does anyone have any experience attempting this?  I'm not asking for support
for Zope on AIX, just for support for the build system. ;-)

Building from the source distribution, having built my own Python 1.5.1
separately, mis-sets the "srcdir" variable to ".", from the perspective of a
linking script found in $PYTHONHOME/lib/python-1.5/config.  This makes the
.o files not get linked into shared libraries.  Alas, hard-coding paths
didn't get me a success.

So I tried the binary porting kit, and it was worse.  It made its own
python, then installed it as local/bin/python-1.5 and later tried to invoke
it as local/bin/python.  I never did get it to work, as there were numerous
problems at the "can't build Makefile" level, and several core dumps from
/bin/sh(!).

One problem that there's little excuse for, when building from your standard
source distro:

Compiling extensions in lib/python
make -f Makefile.pre.in boot PYTHON=/home/kwr/bin/python
[...snip...]
gcc  -g -O2 -I/home/kwr/include/python1.5 -I/home/kwr/include/python1.5
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I../Components/ExtensionClass -c
./../Components/ExtensionClass/ExtensionClass.c
./ld_so_aix gcc  ExtensionClass.o  -o ExtensionClass.so
make: ./ld_so_aix: Command not found
make: *** [ExtensionClass.so] Error 127
make clean
rm -f *.o *~

(1) Hey!  You failed to make the shared object!  Stop!
(2) Hey!!!  You failed!!!  Don't clean up the evidence!!!
(3) ld_so_aix is in the $PYTHON_HOME/lib/python1.5/config directory; the "."
in "./ld_so_aix" comes from $(srcdir).  Dunno who's wrong here.

	Keith (at least Python seemed to build OK)