[Zope] Kudos to Zope

Robert Leftwich robert@leftfieldcorp.com
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 07:38:49 +1000

I just want to say what a great product Zope is and offer congratulations
to all who have helped out in it's development and to the people at Digital
Creations for making it freely available.

I needed to have a useable first version of a Web application completed in
a very short amount of time and could not have achieved it without Zope.
Despite never having written a line of HTML or Python code prior to
starting the project, I was able to deliver a Web data-entry/capture
application packaged as a Zope Product in less than a week (approx. 60 hrs
- which is an average working week in this industry isn't' it :-). The app
has 10 major classes, a couple of support classes/functions and 30 screens
in addition to the standard Zope management screens. I think having an
extensive OO/C++ background helped me to get up to speed, but the excellent
framework provided by Zope coupled with the productivity of Python and
DTML, made it possible. In fact an experienced Zope programmer could have
done the job in 2/3 to 1/2 the time as I spent a lot of time wrestling with
HTML/DTML code to get the layout right.

Not only is the Zope/Python environment productive but it is also FUN !

All in all a great product, well done.

Robert Leftwich
Digital Innovations