[Zope] URL problems

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 14:31:39 -0400

A customer of ours, who uses Netscape Server throughout their system,
has run into this problem.  This is a bug in Netscape Server.  When NS
sees a the . in the URL, it barfs, and the request never even gets to
Zope.  Note that, according to the RFC, a . in a URL is perfectly legal,
therefore this is definately a NS problem.

I hate to wax philosophic here, but this is where open source software
kicks commercial software down to expensive junk.

The easy solution is to use a standards compliant server, and not
Netscape.  Given Netscape's current market situation it may be a while
before they ever fix this.

The hard solution is to go through all of the Zope files, and change
every form action that is "." to <!--#var URL1--> and all ".."s to
<!--#var URL2-->

Note, this is not tested, and may not even work.

-Michel