[Zope] General information

Martijn Faassen M.Faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 16:37:12 +0200

Paul Everitt wrote:

[snippity snap]

> Until the Catalog lands, our searchability story is poor.  Fortunately
> the Catalog, when paired with Z Classes and Property Sheets, is turning
> out to be something that I think surpasses Notes' forms and searches.
> This will be shown and LinuxExpo and released thereafter.  It will
> hopefully appear on zope.org before then.  And yes, it will be below the
> line.

[more snipses]

> Without the Catalog, Zope searches currently are a grep style "traverse
> everything on every request".  With the Catalog, you should expect
> full-text/fielded searches on a 100,000 object Zope system to take about
> 0.2-0.8 seconds (rough guess, lots of variables involved).
>
> The Catalog is based on Z Tables (a currently "above the line" piece of
> software).  If you want to see Z Tables in action, join the Zope
> Documentation Project and write a bunch of docs, then index it :^)

Hey, so this means [snip obvious deduction about Z Tables and LinuxExpo
date]! The catalog sounds interesting.

Anyway, do join the ZDP! Get to work with marvellous Z Tables. Get the
Zen of them! Write documentation on the Zen you got! Join the
zdp@zope.org mailing list today! Go to http://zdp.zope.org for more
information.

Thanks for the ad for the ZDP, Paul. ;)

Regards,