[Zope] publishing question

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:37:59 -0400

For now at least, until we officialy deem it cool.

> OK I see. How does ZServer performance compare with Apache pcgi Zope?
> Medus sounds like it's pretty high performance.

Medusa screams.  There are no solid benchmarks, but from extensive use
of both servers in a Zope environment, Medusa is noticibly faster,
perhaps by 200%, than Apache when publishing Zope objects.  This
comparison probably doesn't hold for other uses of both servers, and
Apache has one gazillion little knobs and features you can use.

> I'm 100% with you there. I particularly like the python-mode.el for
> Emacs. But using one's favorite editor implies either
> uploading with FTP
> or with HTTP-put, correct? Just making sure I understand all
> the options
> :-)

Oh, I didn't go into details enough. ;)  Using ange-ftp for emacs
(actually I use EFS and xEmacs) you can make your Zope look just like a
filesystem, visit files, use indented-text-mode for structured text (a
lifesaver!) and DTML (HTML model doesn't work well with DTML, rumor has
it someone out there is writing a DTML mode for emacs).  xEmacs can even
be used to look at images.

For example, if you had ZServer running and it's FTP listening on port
8021, the you would just (C-x C-f) '/username@my.machine.com#8021/' and
you'll get a Dired of the top level of the Zope tree.

Quite handy.

-Michel