[Zope] publishing question

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 06:35:33 -0400

Alex wrote:
> I can FTP with '/username@my.machine.com:/' but cannot get it to parse
> the odd port number 8021 and don't see where to manually set it in
> ange-ftp.el.

I switched to EFS for testing ZServer because ange-ftp doesn't seem to
support this.  I believe you'd have to twiddle an elisp variable, which
of course would change it for all ange-ftp sessions.  Also the Windows
port of XEmacs is _awesome_.

> I tried
> '/username@my.machine.com#8021:/'

This is what works for XEmacs/EFS.

> It sees everything except the port number.
>
> Also, I don't think I have ZServer set up correctly. I had
> been running
> this as a PCGI thus far. I now want to switch to ZServer. I untarred
> ZPublisher-990415 into /usr/share/zope/lib/python then edited and ran
> start.py.

You'll probably have problems with the permissions on var.  A nice thing
about ZServer is that you can actually see exception information in a
console window.

> Do I need to clean things up and rebuild Zope now, or is it OK as is?
> Can someone nudge me back on course?
>
> % telnet zope.swcp.com 8021
>  Trying 198.59.115.167...
>  Connected to cobalt.swcp.com.
>  Escape character is '^]'.
>  220 zope.swcp.com FTP server (Medusa Async V1.2
> [experimental]) ready.
>  USER zope
>  331 Password required.
>  PASS xxxxxx
>  230 Login successful.
>  LIST
>  550 Could not list directory.
>

> visiting http://zope.swcp.com:9673/
>
> I see just: <module 'Main'>
>
> What should be in MODULE='' in start.py?

This happened to me yesterday.  I'm not too smart so I blew everything
away and it seemed to work.

Amos is working on a new installer (as well as finally overhauled and
corrected installation docs) for 1.11.

--Paul