[Zope] [off topic] question?

Hermann Himmelbauer dusty@strike.wu-wien.ac.at
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 09:14:27 +0200

Boris Borcic wrote:

> > So, I don't get it... Why is Java so popular, while Python seems to be the
> > same and is born before Java...
> >
> > Can somebody give me a easy explenation?
>
> Well, there are a dozen of fine languages older than Java. What happened is
> that Java caught the attention of the big media because of the responsivity of
> web applets in HotJava, the first java-enabled web browser. Java was the
> first language to be "known" by Wall Street before it was known to programmers.

Well - I think this is merely a marketing reason. Sun did a lot of
marketing
with Java. Moreover I have to remind that Java is not the only language
that
offers web applets: A short time after HotJava, Grail was released -
this is
a web browser entirely written in Python with the capability of Python
applets.
The problem with Grail is that it is rather slow, moreover it never
gained the
publicity of HotJava but the idea itself is great.

What I would like to see is a plugin for Netscape/IE that enables the
webbrowser
to run Python applets, but it seems that no one is interested in this.
(At least
I never heard of such a project)

		Regards,
		Hermann