[Zope] [off topic] question?

Christian Tismer tismer@appliedbiometrics.com
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 16:13:52 +0200

Jeff Bauer wrote:

> Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > Hermann Himmelbauer wrote:
> > > What I would like to see is a plugin for Netscape/IE
> > > that enables the webbrowser to run Python applets,
>
> > It was done some years ago, but it never became
> > very popular.

If I remember right, didn't this bring an interactive
Python interpreter to run in a NS window? Not sure,
long time ago.

> I've got a working version of a Python plugin that
> we're cautiously testing with a few clients.
>
> Christian Tismer is also doing some work along
> these lines, and I'm comparing notes with him before
> releasing anything.

Well Jeff, let's echange thoughts about that.

> I'm using the plugin to launch a Python process
> that runs outside the browser, i.e. a wxPython GUI
> application.  NPPython.dll downloads Python code
> pointed to by the URL and executes it.  This is
> probably not what a most programmers have in mind
> when they think Netscape/Python/Plugin/Applet, but
> it's more stable (though less secure) since many
> programs seem likely to cause the browser to crash.

Well, what I do at the moment is running Delphi applets
in a Netscape window, with full support for the NP API,
but no Python yet.

What exactly would you like to achieve by a Python plugin?
Some remote control of Netscape? Python as an applet
dll, or as a long running background process? Showing
your own windows (wxWindows perhaps) as NS subwindow?

The tighter a plugin works with Netscape, the more likely
is that you crash, since the NS strategy to create and destroy
windows and DLL's is not easy to cope with.

Well, this is off topic now and should continue by private email.
Do we want to start a NPPython mailing list on Starship?

ciao - chris.pluck.inn

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@appliedbiometrics.com>
Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net