[Zope] Zope and Unicode

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 21:39:29 -0400

On Sun, Apr 25, 1999 at 07:27:05AM +1000, Robert Leftwich wrote:
> What is the level of support for Unicode in Zope ? I would like to develop
> a Zope application that can be displayed in different languages (e.g.
> Kanji) but can find no mention of Unicode in the Zope documentation and it
> appears that Python will not support it until version 1.6.

There are a couple of questions here, and I'll try and answer them as
best I can...

Q. Can you store Unicode information in documents?
A. I would think so, just using 16-bit wide characters.

Q. Can you edit these?
A. Nope

Q. Can you send them to a web browser correctly encoded?
A. Not currently, though this wouldn't be too difficult to change the
encoding rules I suppose.

At this point, no, you're stuck with ISO-Latin-1 I'd imagine.  This
probably won't change until Python goes unicode.

Chris