[Zope] ANN: P SQL Input Wizard 1.0.1

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 09:08:26 -0400

Tom Deprez wrote:
> I'm not a wizard at Zope and Python (although I hope, one they I can help
> people with it). But what about extending this wizard to the database of Zope?
> Is it possible?

Unfortunately Zope 1.10.2 didn't have enough, IMO, abstractions for
doing this without Python.

Zope 1.11 adds two extremely important ideas for really unleashing the
power of the database: Classes and Property Sheets.  Classes let you
create "your kinds of things" to store in the database, such as
Expenses, Time Sheets, etc.  Z Classes tap into the usual suspects
needed for an object system, supporting things such as inheritance,
class data, methods, constructors, etc.

Property Sheets, part of Z Classes, allow you to organize the
information about "your kinds of things" into logical sets.  Our hope
over time is to leverage this to let Zope be thought of as "storage of
forms".  That is, you just think of attaching forms to "your kinds of
things" and Zope will handle the messy details.

With some usability enhancements, including your wizard suggestion, I
think Zope would have an extremely powerful story for storing things.
The addition of something like XQL as a query language would be icing on
the cake.

> A suggestion: why not creating an interface so people can easely create an
> object-oriented database into Zope? At this moment, it is only possible
> with a knowledge of Python. Maybe a sort of Create Wizard and Input Wizard
> for Zope's OO will be a great benefit... just a thought.
> I'm thinking this, because at the moment, I would use relational databases,
> because of its ease in using it...

Understood.  This is definately an area the the community can keep
chipping in to help, along the lines of these wizards from Paulo.

--Paul