[Zope] examples

Shaw, Howard ShawH@STHS.org
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 07:24:04 -0500

> ----------

Sounds like an idea, except how do you deal with acquisition? It is so
easy to have the same <!--#var id--> refer to different objects via
acquisition, and if you changed the reference <!--#var id--> everywhere,
it would break those which refer to a higher level acquisition. This is
particularly twisted since you can construct URLs, such as adding the
sql dir in as we have recently seen on the list, to effectively change
what is meant by an acquired variable. I rather doubt that it would be
very possible for some algorithmic code to guess when you meant to refer
to this specific object, and when you meant to refer to this pattern of
acquisition. After all, what if you are renaming the object so that you
can revoke the acquisitive override without losing the functionality of
the object? A SAR would break the acquisitive behavior you were trying
to cause!

Its sounds like a nice idea, but I see too many potential problems due
to Acquisition.