[Zope] product distribution mayhem

Alex Rice alrice@swcp.com
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 22:29:24 -0600 (MDT)

OK, hopefully not mayhem, just confusion. What's the proper procedure
for distributing a project with Zclasses? I used to think one just had
to tar.gz the lib/python/Products/X directory, but that doesn't work in
this scenario:

I am building a Product that uses python classes and Zclasses. I begin
by creating a directory in lib/python/Products/X and put my python
module and __init__.py in it. I restart Zope and in the Zope interface,
proceed to add some rally nifty ZClasses and DTML methods and such into
my new Product.

Now I want to distribute it. How?

I can archive lib/python/Products/X, but all that contains is the python
source I started with.

I can hit the "Export" button in Control Panel/Products and create a
.zexp file with all my Products properties and ZClasses, etc, but that
does not contain the python source.

Neither one is complete, and I end up doing this:

(on the destination Zope server) create a lib/python/Products/X, and
unarchive my source code. Restart Zope. Re-name the new Product (so the
next step doesn't collide) Then go to Zope Products folder and import my
X.zexp file. I think this works-- I'm actually not even sure why. There
has got to be a better way. What am I missing?

--
Alex Rice    |    alrice@swcp.com    |    http://www.swcp.com/~alrice
    Current Location: N. Rio Grande Bioregion, Southwestern USA