[Zope] Zope outputs Static files

Karl Fast Karl Fast <karl.fast@pobox.com>
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 12:12:42 -0600

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 01:15:03PM +0000, Kam Cheung wrote:
> Anyone know if there is a way to make Zope to output a static site? For
> doing client presentation, I often made a static copy of the site, just in
> case when connection is down, or when there is not even a connection
> available.

I asked this question a few months back and I think the consensus was
to use wget or curl or something like that to snarf the files. Make
sure to watch out for the following:

1. Watch your filename extensions. With zope, you don't normally name
   objects with .gif or .jpg, but there isn't any rule that says you
   can't name them as such. And remember to switch your _html to .html.

2. Don't build you content with lot of fancy, dynamic stuff that won't
   build nice static pages. ie: don't use tree.

Keep things simple, stick to the basics, learn to snarf files with
something like wget, and you should be fine. Unfortunately, Zope
doesn't have a static page rendering engine like Frontier (or maybe
there is and I don't know about it).

I haven't done this yet myself, but will be doing this later in the
week for a small site.

--
karl