[Zope] ANN: ZSybaseDA 1.0.1

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 22:23:21 +0200

Does the adapter finally support long objects?

The ctsybase module that comes with Brian Hooper's unofficial Sybase DA
does not, and this precludes the use of "large" (I don't know the magic
number, but my experience is that any column data above ~4K must be
accessed as long objects) column data such as images and text.

I was extremely frustrated to learn of this limitation, as I had to move
a working web site from MSSQL 6.5 to Sybase 11.4 on Linux, and in this
process the image support more or less disappeared; long objects
permanently clog the ctsybase module, requiring a restart of Zope.

>And others.  Note that the ctsybase module appears to be orphaned by
>it's original maintainer, as our attempts to get ahold of him have
>failed.

Then I have succeeded where you have failed; Peter Godman is alive and
well and charging $200/hour for any maintenance work on the ctsybase
module. He is reluctant to work on it even if he is paid to do it. I
quote: "The only reason I charge so much is that I have just about zero
interest and very little time to work on this.  I used to help people
gratis, but got tired of other people selling my work to others, having
me help fix bugs, when I didn't even use the code any more myself."

Still, he is quite congenial about the module, and he provided me with
many hints on how to implement the long-object support. However, never
having touched Sybase or CT-Lib until about two weeks ago, such a
project would be like shooting in the dark for me right now.

If you wish to reach him, his email address is pgodman@real.com.

[...]

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"It has taken the planet Earth 4.5 billion years to discover it is