[Zope] Displaying the text from a text area

Timothy Grant tjg@avalongroup.net
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 17:18:07 -0700

Hi folks,

This seems like it should be simple, but I haven't been able to figure
it out.

I have a text area called "notes" for users to--appropriately
enough--enter notes on a transaction.

The notes field carries beautifully across two different forms, allowing
the user to append information to the field if they need to when they
are viewing the second  form. I then want to display the entered text in
printable/e-mailable form on the third page.

I have discovered the following behaviour, that while understandable is
not desirable--at least for what I'm implementing:

Form 1:

<textarea name="notes" wrap="on" cols="80" rows="10">
</textarea></p>

Form 2:
<textarea name="notes" wrap="on" cols="80" rows="10">
<!--#var notes-->
</textarea></p>

Undesirable behaviour one--

Using this method, I end up with a Python List on the third page. The
first item in the list is the text that was entered on the first page,
the second item on the list is the text that was entered on both the
first and second pages.

Undesirable behaviour two--
When I go to display the text using <!--#var notes--> not only do I get
both items from the list, but I get untranslated CR/LF pairs.

Any solutions to either of these little problems would be greatly
appreciated.

--
Stand Fast,
    tjg.