[Zope] a funny thing happened today...

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:35:07 +0100

People,
I'd like to share a thought I had this morning as I read a post by
Stephan Richter on the zdp list.

Stephan:
At 11:29 am -0500 22/8/99, Stephan Richter wrote:
>yep, go to my site. I have four XML documents wrapped by DTML. :)
>http://www.zope.org:18200/Members/srichter
>Works great by the way, thanks to Martijn Faassen.

It occurred to me that the Zope community now has the ability to
render XML documents *on the fly* into HTML (or whatever), doing it
almost transparently, and within a framework that is extremely
powerful.

I've been watching the XML-L and XML-DEV lists for, oh 18 months now.
There have been announcements of rendering XML into HTML etc on the
fly, yes. But the solutions offered have always been too clunky for
me (talk of XSL and Java servlets and *much* more arcane stuff flew
around and through the list and my head for many moons).

In short, this is a *big* win for the Zope community.

tone out.
------
Dr Tony McDonald,  FMCC, Networked Learning Environments Project
http://nle.ncl.ac.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 222 5888
Fingerprint: 3450 876D FA41 B926 D3DD  F8C3 F2D0 C3B9 8B38 18A2