[Zope] More XML Doc questions (and ZCatalog)

Jason Jones jason.jones@awl.com
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:13:09 -0500

Is it possible to catalog individual XMLDocument elements with ZCatalog? For
instance, if my XMLDocument has something like "<abstract>some
text</abstract>" can I catalog only that individual element, plus any
sub-elements (by setting up an "abstract" text index in my ZCatalog)?

What I would eventually like to do is build a system for storing scientific
papers and I want to use XML as the archive format, but I'd like the ability
to run searches over arbitrary sections of the document collection. From the
readme file, it seems like XMLDocument would parse the file into a
collection of objects that could be cataloged, but in practice it doesn't
seem to work this way. I can catalog the entire document or add stuff to a
property sheet and catalog that, but I can't catalog pieces of the xml file.

Is this possible?

Also, I thought I'd repost my earlier question as it's also along these
lines -------

>Does anyone have an example of the following working:

>"XML attributes are mapped to Zope properties. You can edit these
>values via the standard Zope property management interface and the
>changes are reflected in the xml of an element.
>
>You can also edit attributes by editing the xml and these changes are
>reflected in
>the Zope property interface."
>
>I can't seem to get attributes to map to properties which can then be
edited
>from the properties tab. Also, when I create properties, no changes are
>reflected in the XML document.
>
>Am I misreading the above statements (I took it from the slides example
that
>comes with XMLDocument). If so, could someone clarify what is actually
meant
>by the above?

Looking for enlightenment,

Jason Jones