[Zope] DTML syntax

Bill Anderson bill.anderson@libc.org
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 18:12:17 -0600

Tim Wilson wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Following my initial question, Paul Everitt wrote:
>
> > > 2. What DTML syntax would I use to create a link to this PDF
> > > file so it
> > > can be downloaded? I've tried some different things, but none work.
> >
> > Hmm, <a href="somefile.pdf">My pdf file</a> should work, no?
>
> Thanks Paul. I was making it way too hard. Here's another Zope style
> question. From a long-term site maintenance perspective, would it be
> better to create my PDF file objects in scattered directories, or should I
> create a /download folder with some hierarchical storage system there?
> Perhaps the question is too abstract.
>
> I'd like to create some sort of navigation tree that would allow someone
> to download any of the available PDFs from one central page in addition to
> the links that I'm provding in the sub-folders dedicated to each of our
> curriculum units. (See
> http://206.131.108.122:8080/atlas/curriculum/particle/ for an example.)
> Are there any special issues to consider in this case as I decide where in
> the ZODB to store my PDFs?

I would put them in a seperate folder, that way you could do somehting
like this on the 'central page' for downloading (with /PDF as the pdf
downloads folder):

[CODE CLASS=UNTESTED]]
<ol> Documentation Downloads in PDF format:
<dtml-var in PDF>
	<li> <a href=<dtml-var absolute_url>> <dmtl-var title>
</dtml-in>
</ol>
[/CODE]

Alternatively, if the documetation downloads directory contains multiple
file-types (pdf, doc, ps, ...), you could assign a property called
filetype, and thus sort through them.

hth

Bill Anderson