[Zope] Idea: ZTest: Integrated Use-case based web site testing.

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:43:12 -0500

At 11:22 AM 8/27/99 -0400, Christopher Petrilli wrote:
>> Aside: Do you really need this within Zope if you can run a ZClient
>> script with chron? While a scheduler within Zope isn't a bad idea, the
>> infrastructure -- at least on Unix and NT -- is already there.
>
>This probably shouldn't be inside Zope, as it could be pretty CPU intensive
>on occasion.  The balance I would strike is to have an external application
>that uses ZClient to retrieve certain TYPES of objects and then works with
>them.  Then you could manage it through the web, without having to have the
>actual threads inside Zope.

Unfortunately, unless that external application is just calling a "find the
next scheduled event and execute it" method, it doesn't scale conceptually.
 The really interesting (to me) applications for a scheduler require
more-or-less arbitrary objects to schedule future execution of their methods.