[Zope] Idea: ZTest: Integrated Use-case based web site testing.

Pavlos Christoforou pavlos@gaaros.msrc.sunysb.edu
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:45:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 11:22 AM 8/27/99 -0400, Christopher Petrilli wrote:
> >> Aside: Do you really need this within Zope if you can run a ZClient
> >> script with chron? While a scheduler within Zope isn't a bad idea, the
> >> infrastructure -- at least on Unix and NT -- is already there.
> >
> >This probably shouldn't be inside Zope, as it could be pretty CPU intensive
> >on occasion.  The balance I would strike is to have an external application
> >that uses ZClient to retrieve certain TYPES of objects and then works with
> >them.  Then you could manage it through the web, without having to have the
> >actual threads inside Zope.
> >

> Unfortunately, unless that external application is just calling a "find the
> next scheduled event and execute it" method, it doesn't scale conceptually.
>  The really interesting (to me) applications for a scheduler require
> more-or-less arbitrary objects to schedule future execution of their methods.

True -

however doing things internally requires dealing with concurrent issues.
Using ZClient or xmlrpc throws the burden on Jim ;-)

The simplest idea I came up with is to have a thread internally
that sleeps for a given number of seconds and then calls a simple
urllib.urlopen with a URL pointing to  Folderish Scheduler Product. The
Scheduler product then executes registered objects (using whatever
registration method)
sequentially.

But again .. I am not sure how security is to be dealt with. Should there
be a special role, scheduler, or use proxy functionality?

Pavlos