[Zope] RPM ?s

brucek sales@thesoftwareplaceplus.com
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:33:10 -0500

To all:

            I have been trying to use my RPM installation of Zope and I
have run into several problems which I believe can be attributed to the
fact that I used an RPM installation. I have found the following in the
source installation script distributed with the source installation.  I
have annotated my questions in the text of the RPM piece of the
installation script. Any help that anyone could provide would be greatly
appreciated. I would like to use the RPM installation and not install
from source directly. Currently I am unable to get a process name with
ps -A, although the ZopeHTTPServer is running, as I can get to the Zope
welcome screen. I also cannot get  any authentication for the manage
screen, it is the same error that is listed in the FAQ  as being the
result of a PCGI install of Zope not passing authentication info onto
the web server, however I am running the ZopeHTTPServer. I am
installing  and trying to get to the manage screen  as root, so there
should be no permission problems. What do I need to do to get the
RPM working properly?

    Here is the text from the product_install.py file that I believe is
a solution to the problem.
-r   -- This is an RPM (or RPM-like) installation.

           o Get the installation name from the directory
             name where installe. ( what is the installation name? )

           o Use the installation name as the superuser name and use a
             blank superuser password.  This means that the
             administrator *must* edit access or configure their web
             server to authenticate this name. ( the access file resides
in the /var/local/zope directory, is this correct for an RPM? )

           o Create a link for the executable using the name, so that
             ps listings show the installation name. ( Where do I create
this link? )

           o Write the resource file accordingly. ( What resource file
is this? RPM resource, Zope resource ?? )

Note: I am using the RPM as built by Jeff Rush.

 I really apprecitate any help the community would be willing to give
me.

Thank-you

Nathen Hinson