[Zope] ZCatalog 'or-ing' results

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:04:39 -0400

Hi,

    There was a discussion back when ZCatalog alpha was announced about
or-ing the search results. The specific application in mind was being able
to take one search term from a user and search for it in title, summary and
text_content. This, IMHO, is a pretty important thing in terms of getting a
search engine going on a site.

    There was a bit of discussion about query languages. I'm keen on seeing
something happen sooner than later when it comes to searching. Apparently,
there is already some functionality implemented for taking the union of
result sets. Perhaps a really simple scheme could be implemented. Something
like "REQUEST.set('search', [{'metatype' : 'KMArticle', 'title' :
search_string}, {'metatype' : KMArticle', 'text_content' : search_string},
{'metatype' : 'KMArticle', 'summary' : search_string}])"... A bit verbose
and not as general as a query language, perhaps, but it seems like this
might be easy to implement based on functions that already exist...

    Has there been any work with this to get Search going on the new
Zope.org site? Am I missing something that is in the code already?

Kevin