[Zope] still confused newbie

lethal@innocent.com lethal@innocent.com
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 07:37:01 -0700

hi there,

i am still messing around with the most simple thing i can imagine to do with zope: writing and reading properties into and from different objects.

so here's my scenario:
1. a folder called "newbie" with a property called "msg"
2. a dtml-document called "test" with a property called "msg"
3. a dtml-method called "write"

thanks to kevin dangoor's help i now know how to write a property, generally:
<dtml-call "manage_changeProperties ({'msg': 'blablabla'})">

imagine this in 3., the method will write "blablabla" into the property "msg" of the "newbie"-folder.

that works. same is with reading the folder's property. no problem.

but what if i want to assign the value to the "msg"-property of the document "test" (2.)?

kevin suggested:
<dtml-with test>
<dtml-call "manage_changeProperties ({'test.msg': 'blablabla'})">
</dtml-with>

unfortunately, when i replace the code in 3. with this piece, it does not work. resp. i do not get any error, however the property remains untouched.

i am pretty confused about this and would appreciate general help about how to set and get properties of an object's parent, sibling and child objects.

or someone please might explain to me that my approach is a completely wrong one to the techniques of requesting and updating the zope database (although i think it would be a comfortable one)...

best regards,
tobi