[Zope] Which database?

Suder Steen SFS sfs@sciatl.dk
31 Aug 1999 09:30:00 -0000

Hi,

I'm implementing a little Zope 2 solution here in my IT
dept. and we're having discussions on which database to use.

Scenario:
4-5 adms/real users, upto 250 client users.
Adms will enter PC regs., user regs and so on.
Clients will enter suppport issues, follow their issue's
progress and browse diff. IT support info.

So it's no big thing at all.
We plan to run the thing on RedHat Linux 6.0.
Hardware is a PII 400, 256MB RAM, RAID5 for data etc.

I'd like to use MySQL because of it's integration with Zope
and web in general... and then it's a nice product too.

My collegeague is obsessed with security so he on the
PostgreSQL wagon. Main issue for him is transaction control.
I say: heavy hardware and light usage means no need for
transaction control in my world.

My boss says: go with Oracle or Informix. Our company
already has licenses for these products.
I think they are too heavy, too big and too closed. That's
bad.

I'd like some thoughts on this issue.

Best regards,
Steen Suder