[Zope] Which database?

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 07:59:33 -0500

I would suggest considering Zope2/ZODB3 as the database for the
application, and not using SQL at all.  If I were building an issue
tracking system from scratch today, I would probably start with Zope2 and
no SQL, and I speak as someone who's written an SQL-based tracking system
on ZPublisher that currently supports around 450 users answering about
40,000 requests a month.

At 07:49 PM 8/31/99 +1000, Anthony Baxter wrote:
>> If I can administer both DB's from within Zope, then I'll choose PGSQL
becaus
>e you say they're equally easy to work with an PGSQL has transaction control.
>> Can I administer DB's from within Zope?
>>
>> PGSQL's advantage is transaction control and MySQL's would be tools and
>> userbase, right?
>
>Don't underestimate transactions - does the Zope Mysql interface do rollback
>if a page is partially rendered? Databases with transactions (particularly
>when they're supported by Zope :) make life _so_ much easier - you don't
>have to worry about what happens if one SQL Method fails, but there's been
>previous ones in the same DTML Method that might or might not have
succeeded...