[Zope] RedHat Secure Web Server 3.1 & Zope 2.1 & MySQL

Patrick Phalen zope@teleo.net
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 09:17:53 -0800

[CURTIS David, on Mon, 06 Dec 1999]
"""
My Web site got hacked.  I was told that RedHat Secure Web Server
3.1 can prevent certain types of attacks.  Does Zope run on Secure Web
Server 3.1?  I was running Apache and Zope (ZAP) together before.  Not
knowing exactly the method of my server's breach makes it hard to
prevent further attacks but what is best way to prevent such problems
again?"""

============

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I believe that RH Secure Web Server is targeted at secure
transactions for ecommerce (SSL support, Squid proxy), not the
particular case of providing a server secured against crackins.

Securing *nix systems is a *big* subject and certainly off topic for
this list, but ...

Make sure that you have a good tape backup strategy in place.

I recommend O'Reilly's books:

Practical Unix and Intenet Security
Building Internet Firewalls

However, both are now dated (as any printed and bound security book
would be) -- the subject changes daily. Be aware also that these two
books total 1500 pages of dense information.

As a starting point check out:
http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/LDP/lame/LAME/linux-admin-made-easy/c2458.html
http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/Security-HOWTO.html

Make sure that you have a good tape backup strategy in place.

The December Linux Journal has a basic tutorial on security.

Make sure that you have a good tape backup strategy in place.

Subscribe to the Redhat Watch list to get early notice of security
fixes and apply them early and often.

Make sure that you have a good tape backup strategy in place.

Unless you have the time (DAILY!)  to devote to this, consider hiring a
security professional to set things up for you.

Make sure that you have a good tape backup strategy in place.